Friday, 2 January 2015

Bumper Cars and a Castle

Christmas was jolly and everyone seemed happy enough. New Year's Eve was low-key but fun, as I had an old friend to stay. The house is halfway to tidy, and 'normal' life is trudging slowly over the horizon towards us.

For some strange reason my family visited Windsor 4 times over the holidays (it's half an hour away in the car). First of all, Big G took Little-Boy-B (and a friend) for his 13th birthday, and they went ice skating at the festive Windsor on Ice at Alexandra Gardens. Apparently the highlight of the afternoon was crashing and zooming around on the bumper cars - that timelessly reliable form of entertainment.

The second visit was 3 days later when Big G's sister arrived from the USA. I didn't go, but Big G went with her and the kids. Chocolate crepes and more bumper car rides, plus some awe-struck gazing up at the spectacular Windsor Castle, which is slap bang in the middle of the town and looms over everything.

I went on the third outing to Windsor. The kids and I met my sister and her kids, and the bumper cars were of course another big hit. We had lunch and strolled along the river - the visit was just long enough to feel we'd done something good, but not too long to tire me out completely. I could not wait to take my wig off and put my pyjamas on when I got home.

Two days later my friend was here to stay, so on New Years Eve we went to Windsor AGAIN! This time it was just Teen-Girl-L (and a friend) - they are old enough to go off shopping on their own so my friend and I had some time to chat about life's ups and downs over bowls of pasta. No bumper cars this time though. As darkness fell, one of the castle towers was lit up with moving Christmassy images of angels and heraldry and snow, it was lovely.

So thank you Windsor for your Christmas hospitality ... I probably won't be back for a while.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comment on my blog. I'm not awesome, I just like reading a lot (as do my wife and kidz). Bonne Année!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Windsor a few times, though sadly not for about ten years now. It always seems a magical place with the castle dominating everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a lot of fun. Glad you had a good Christmas, and happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you know, I've been on a bit of holiday break. Didn't go anywhere exciting or anything, just spent some lovely time at home with my family. Glad your holiday was jolly. Windsor sounds magical indeed. Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete